Zimmer Biomet Job Opportunity
Zimmer Biomet, a medical device company and long-standing member of the CBE, is hiring a research scientist with a background in microbiology.
Zimmer Biomet is a global medical technology leader. Our team members are part of a company with a heritage of leadership, a focus on shaping the future, and a mission dedicated to alleviating pain and improving the quality of life for people around the world.
This position is responsible for generating scientific evidence to support the development, launch and marketing related to Zimmer Biomet Products, existing and new products. Responsibilities include developing research protocols, managing research studies, collaboration with internal & external researchers, data analysis, reporting and presentations to both internal and external parties.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Perform routine functions associated with a microbiology lab - Develop and optimize
microbiological assays and techniques to assess the efficacy of antimicrobial agents,
evaluate microbial diversity, and measure microbial activity. Continuously improve
experimental protocols and ensure quality control.
• Support anti-infective coating process development by running experiments and analyzing experimental data using statistical methods and software tools.
• Summarize and present research findings through written reports, white papers, scientific publications, oral presentations,
• Laboratory management: Maintain and organize laboratory equipment, supplies, and reagents. Ensure adherence to safety protocols and good laboratory practices. Train and mentor junior staff members, such as laboratory assistants and technicians.
• Support efforts to expand and develop markets through the development of material, collaterals, and manuscripts to illustrate technical and clinical benefits of technologies.
• Support customer visits and attend tradeshows to present information on key technologies to external parties (physicians, nurses, hospital staff, etc.).
• Support sales training efforts on research through development and presentation of sales training materials and collaterals and participating in sales education.
• Collaborate with multifunctional project teams to determine evidence needs to support new product initiatives and market growth.
• Develop and execute protocols and perform project leadership and management for both clinical and non-clinical research projects.
Expected Areas of Competence
• Analytical / microbiology laboratory experience – handling of bacterial cultures,
preparation of inoculums; clean and safe laboratory practice
• Hands on experience with gram staining; antimicrobial testing such as zone of inhibition; Japanese film method; sterilization techniques
• Able to knowledgeably and safely handle hazardous chemicals
• Maintain clean lab environment and accurate documentation
• Experience with conducting and execution of clinical research & non-clinical research studies
• The ability to effectively communicate through written and oral form is required, along with strong organizational and time management skills with internal & external team members
• The ability to read, interpret and analyze both clinical data as well as non-clinical data is required
• Experience with successful project management Proficiency in Microsoft Office software is required
• Bachelor’s Degree in a scientific or engineering related field is required.
• Advanced degree (MS/PhD) preferred and can substitute for some or all required experience.
• 3-5 years’ experience is required.
• Minimum 2 years of analytical / microbiology laboratory experience is required.
• Experience working in medical device industry is preferred.