Professor, Chemical and Biological Engineering
Office: 315 Cobleigh Hall
Specialty: Metabolic engineering, metabolic networks; chronic wounds
PhD, Chemical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, 2003
- McGill, S.L.,Yung, Y., Hunt, K.A., Henson, M.A., Hanley, L., Carlson, R.P. (2021) Pseudomonas aeruginosa reverse diauxie is a multidimensional, optimized, resource utilization strategy. Scientific Reports. 11, 1457.
- Hammarlund, S.P., Gedeon, T., Carlson, R.P., Harcombe, W. (2021) Limitation by a shared mutualist promotes coexistence of multiple competing partners. Nature Communications. 12, 619.
- Park, H., Patel, A., Hunt, K.A., Henson, M.A., Carlson, R. P. (2020) Artificial consortium demonstrates emergent properties of enhanced cellulosic-sugar degradation and biofuel synthesis. npj Biofilms Microbiomes. 6, 59.
- Jay, Z.J., Hunt, K.A. Chou, K.J., Schut, G.J., Maness, P.C., Adams, M.W.W., Carlson, R.P. (2020) Integrated thermodynamic analysis of electron bifurcating [FeFe]-hydrogenase to inform anaerobic metabolism and H2 production. Biochemica Biophysica Acta Bioenergetics. 1861; 148087.
- Park, H., McGill, S.L., Arnold, A. D., Carlson, R.P. (2020) Pseudomonad reverse carbon catabolite repression, interspecies metabolite exchange, and consortial division of labor. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences. 77, 395-413.
- Yung, Y., McGill, S.L., Chen, H., Carlson, R.P., Hanley, L. (2019) Reverse Diauxie Phenotype in Pseudomonas aeruginosa Biofilm Revealed by Exometabolomics and Label-Free Proteomics. npj Biofilms and Microbiomes. 5, 31.
- Schepens, D., Carlson, R.P., Heys, J., Beck, A.E., Gedeon, T. (2019) Role of resource allocation and transport in emergence of cross-feeding in microbial consortia. Journal of Theoretical Biology. 467, 150-163.
Dr. Carlson's CV
Additional biofilm related publications searchable via the CBE Publications Database
MSU News Service January 18, 2022 "MSU researchers seek to optimize algae biomaterials production"
MSU News Service September 27, 2021 "MSU receives $3 million for graduate research"
MSU News Service February 12, 2019 “MSU algae research could make biofuel production more economical”
MSU News Service October 18, 2017 “MSU researchers receive $1.8 million to study methane-converting microbes”
MSU News Service October 25, 2016 “MSU engineering professor awarded U.S. Army Research Office grant”