Assistant Professor, Chemical and Biological Engineering
Photo courtesy of Kelly Gorham
Office: COB 303
Specialty: Rheology and biofilm mechanics
Dr. Brown is a PI in the Magnetic Resonance Lab and an assistant professor in MSU's Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering. Her main area of research is in soft matter systems, such as complex fluids and gels, where she uses Magnetic Resonance (MR) techniques and rheological characterization to study the viscoelastic fluid response to an applied deformation.
Read more about Dr. Jennifer Brown, PhD at http://www.coe.montana.edu/mrm/MRMBrown.htm
Magnetic resonance microscopy (MRM) publications
- J.R. Brown, T.I. Brox, S.J. Vogt, J.D. Seymour, M.L. Skidmore, S.L. Codd “Magnetic resonance diffusion and relaxation characterization of water in the unfrozen vein network in polycrystalline ice and its response to microbial metabolic products,”J Mag Reson. 2012, 225:17–24
- C. Lepper, P.J.B. Edwards, E. Schuster, J.R. Brown, R. Dykstra, P.T. Callaghan, M.A.K. Williams, "Rheo-NMR studies of the behavior of a nematic liquid crystal in a low-shear-rate regime: Measuring critical shear-rates governing the transition from director alignment to reorientation," Physical Review E. 2010, 82 041712.
- J.R. Brown and P.T. Callaghan, "Measurement of vorticity diffusion by NMR microscopy," J Mag Reson. 2010, 204:21-25.
- J.R. Brown, E.O. Fridjonsson, J.D. Seymour, S.L. Codd, “NMR measurement of shear-induced particle migration in Brownian suspensions”, Physics of Fluids 2009 21(9): 093301.
- S.L. Codd, S. A. Altobelli, J.D. Seymour, J.R. Brown, E.O. Fridjonsson “Solid liquid particulate suspensions—gravitational and viscous transport,” in the book Magnetic Resonance Microscopy: Advances in Spatially Resolved Magnetic Resonance, S.L. Codd (Editor), J.D. Seymour (Editor), Wiley-VCH 2008
- J.R. Brown, J.D. Seymour, S.L. Codd, E.O. Fridjonsson, G.R. Cokelet, M.Nyden "Dynamics of the Solid and Liquid Phases in Dilute Sheared Brownian Suspensions: Irreversibility and Particle Migration" Phys. Rev. Lett. 99. 2007 240602 (Highlighted in Physical Review Focus)
- G.R. Cokelet, J.R. Brown, S.L. Codd, J.D. Seymour, "Magnetic resonance microscopy determined velocity and hematocrit distributions in a Couette viscometer", Biorheology. 2005 42(5): 385-399.
Additional biofilm related publications searchable via the CBE Publications Database